As the Summer continues to fly by and everyone continues to share photos of their weekends “down the shore,” I thought I would share my favorite things about Summer in the city. Sure the city heat can be oppressive and it is nearly impossible to find a place to build a sandcastle or fling your body across a slip n’ slide, but it does have its own perks. In no particular order, my favorite parts about Summer in Philadelphia:
1. Pop-up Parks– the city keeps reinventing itself each Summer with new places to visit. We fell in love with some of these attractions last year and they returned this year with even more creative features.
- Spruce Street Harbor Park: come for the roller skating, fall asleep in a hammock, and stay for the Garces food.
- The Oval: a rotating schedule of events for adults and families, including a parade of food trucks.
- Philadelphia Horticultural Society Pop Up Garden: transforming a vacant lot into a flowering beer garden with gourmet food? Yes, please!
2. Public Pools and Spraygrounds– there are so many fun and free options for water play that you’ll forget you are in a city.
- Public City Pools: 71 different pools!
- A listing of spraygrounds by neighborhood can be found here.
3. Cheap Eats– citywide happy hours and restaurant weeks offer great opportunities to try out new restaurants at less of the cost.
4. Block parties and street fairs– neighbors come together all over the city to barbecue, jump in bounce houses, and bond. If your block isn’t hosting a formal party, the city is likely hosting a fair nearby.
- Franklin Flea: find a vintage keepsake while strolling outside, and with food trucks!
5. Ice cream and water ice everywhere– not only are there ice cream trucks zig zagging the city, but there are some delicious scoops from brick and mortar shops as well.
- John’s Water Ice: good enough for Obama!
Enjoy exploring Philadelphia this Summer!
[I have no affiliation with any of the organizations above and I am not responsible for the content of any external websites.]